Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Event/Person Highlight: Newspaper Article

Andrew Jackson: America's Next President?

In last week's edition, we interviewed President John Adams, who is running for re-election this year. Now, we sit down with the democratic candidate, Andrew Jackson.

Q: So, Mr. Jackson, can you tell me about growing up in Waxchaw, North Carolina?
A: Well, it was pretty difficult. I was raised in a small log cabin on the border of North and South Carolina. Just a couple of weeks before I was born, my father died in a logging accident; my mother had to raise all three of us by herself. When I was thirteen, I decided to join the militia and fight against Britain during the Revolutionary War. One of my brothers died in battle and my other brother died when him and I were held captive by British soldiers. Shortly after I was rescued, my mother died of small pox. So at the ripe age of fourteen, I was an orphan with nowhere to go.

Q: Wow. Tell me about your journey from that fourteen year old boy to the Andrew Jackson we see today.
A: For a while I worked in a saddle-maker's shop. Then, I decided to go to Salisbury, North Carolina to study law. After I graduated, my uncle gave me four hundred dollars, and I went to Tennessee and used that money to start my own law firm. From there, I went on to become a congressman, a judge, and then an army general during the War of 1812.

Q: Very fascinating. And now you're running for US president. What's your relationship with President Adams?
A: I ran for president in 1824, but lost to Mr. Adams. Recently, there has been quite a bit of mudslinging between us; which hasn't helped our relationship. So, it's safe to say we're not very good friends.

I see. Well, thank you for sitting down with me today, Mr. Jackson.


Jackson's Followers:

Unlike President Adams (who is popular with many of the large businesses of this country), Andrew Jackson is well-liked by the farmers and average US citizens. Many like his life story. This man has worked his way up, truly supporting the "American Dream". Jackson gives all of these people hope for a brighter future. He served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. He is a truly patriotic man. No one can describe Andrew Jackson's drive better than Andrew Jackson: "Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and is conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.".

No comments: